Friday, February 25, 2011

Chaz Maviyane-Davies

"Creating an alternate vision as my expression in a pervading regressive body politic has never been easy, but design is my weapon and therein lies the challenge I call 'Creative Defiance.'"

This week, i've chosen to focus on Chaz Maviyane-Davies. He does wonderful designs for social issues, mostly those of a global level. He also ties in nicely with the articles we read this week, specifically his poster titled, "Dissent is a Right". The piece is very direct without being in your face. If you were to view this poster without any context, you would not immediately think of Iran, but when informed, you can make the connection. For me, this kind of art is the most intriguing. It causes the viewer to think.

Another great poster of Chaz's focuses on UN Rights. It reads, "No one should be subjected to slavery or servitude". With this piece, it is not difficult to decide what t
he focus or subject is, but it is also very visually stimulating. He could have simply wrapped a pair of fists in chains, but manipulating the image to include chains
as hair is really cool.

It's not offense, or gruesome, but it is nothing to take lightly either. I'll admit, I am a sucker for happy mediums. I don't like offending people, but I don't want to create 'something pretty' either. This may be why I find Maviyane-Davies to be so intriguing.

I think my favorite works of his are the graphic commentaries. He seems to have discovered a right balance between visuals and text, something that I have always struggled with. How much do you say? Do you let the image/work speak for itself? Should you provide your audience with bumpers to prevent them from ending up in the gutter?

Chaz Mayiyane-Davies is a very versatile artist/designer. I only wish that more people would use their talents, whatever they may be, to do better. Not everyone can make a career out of changing the world, but you really have to respect those who do. The work they do, on the canvas and off, is incredible. For anyone who's interested, you can check out more of his work on his website.

No comments:

Post a Comment