Friday, March 11, 2011

Alright, so this project was... interesting. I thoroughly enjoyed working with Robbie on this project, but I have always been more of an individual when it comes to creating art, especially graphics. I think this was a wonderful learning experience. I had to create a concrete rough draft/sketch of my work, which i've always been really bad at. And I became a greater supporter of the idea that two heads are better than one. I learned a lot about the programs we've been using, things that I probably wouldn't have learned or even encountered had I worked alone.


As for the design of the project itself, I found it to be a lot more difficult than previously anticipaited. I originally wanted to play with the idea of the glass bridge downtown, probably because it is ocasionally a mecca for my friends and I. But in talking with Robbie, we settled on port specific aspects of both Duluth and Tacoma. We then narrowed our options down to bridges and lighthouses. I really dislike the idea of overcrowding designs, even if that means not including enough information.

This is something that I struggled with during this process. I know that posters are about conveying a message, but I liked that our project contained very little text. Perhaps I have seen too many wonderful designs ruined by text crowding or corny phrases. I do agree that a "You are not alone" would've added to the piece, especially in that dark area between the bridges. But I also liked the idea that Duluth's nightsky was reaching into the waterh surrounding the lighthouse.


I also really appreciated the color in our piece. The projector, and almost all projectors for that matter, do a horrendous job of displaying colors. We really limited ourselves to a small color scheme, but I think it worked well and created a powerful sentiment without being overbearing. I'm also happy with our decision to go with a light blue font color rather than red. I feel as though it really emphasized the idea of both water and fluidity between the two cities.


Overall, I am very happy with my partner and the work that we created. I learned some new program skills, better team building skills, and some interesting facts about a city that I had never heard of before. If I had to do this over again, the only thing I would change would be the inclusion of "You are not alone".

No comments:

Post a Comment