Sunday, March 6, 2011

Tunnel of Oppression


So for this project, I decided to stay focused on the Tunnel of Oppression. Before participating in the actual tunnel, I had a grand design planned out in my head. I was going to use a thumb print to create the sentiment of a tunnel, and I was going to have it light in the middle and fade into darker colors going outwards. I attempted to create this design probably three or four different times and finally gave up on the idea.

I then decided to go with a very vector based design. I began playing with circles and lines. I originally had about 15 layered circles creating the tunnel. I then attempted to create my own lines which would overlap in front of the "tunnel". I shortly learned that this was not going to work. The design was just too heavy. So i removed a few of the circles and settled on six. I then added the different shades of orange. They were each monochromatic, but I used a blending tool to create a smoother transition between the layers, which I think really emphasized the idea of a tunnel.

I then scrapped the idea of individually creating and placing my own lines and created a circle the same size as the larger one and chose a fill with a line pattern. I played with the thickness of the lines and attempted to change the color from black to something else, but in the end went with black. The amount of black is somewhat stark, but my intention was to grab people's attention, not to make something "pretty".

When deciding where to place the text and how much to use, I chose to place the title, "Tunnel of Oppression" at the top. I wanted to keep the poster pretty bottom heavy, rather than very centered. And I think I did pretty good job of accomplishing that. When giving details about the event, I took a minimalist approach. I find, at least personally, that people are more intrigued by facts and numbers with very little explanation. So I chose to give only the place, date, and time, which where placed in what should be the center of the tunnel. I figure, if people are interested enough in a design, they will probe for more information about whatever it is advertising.

Overall, I am very happy with this design. I wish that I could've executed my original idea, but things change and time is limited and I accomplished what I set out to.

No comments:

Post a Comment