Friday, March 4, 2011

Tunnel of Oppression poster process?

Well, we all made posters for Tunnel of Oppression and they were all pretty great! There were many ways of approaching the project so each of us discussing our process should be interesting to say the least.

The way I approached the creative process in this instance was to search my memory for one of the most powerful paintings I could think of and what I came up with was Goya's Saturn Devorouing His Son and somehow change parts of the meaning of that painting but still use its composition for the basis of my design.


Francisco Goya, Saturn Devouring His Son, 1819-1823

The next step for me was to figure out what Saturn would be replaced by. I spent January in London and saw an exhibit on early Soviet propaganda at the Tate: Modern -- in it there were many caricatures of greedy statesmen and business men looking hungrily at money or land or the starving working classes. This probably subtly inspired me to chose Rich Uncle Pennybags from the board game Monopoly as the villain in the poster.

The final part of the process was to make the corpse of the unnamed Greco-Roman god being eaten by Saturn into a representation of victims of oppression. The thinking behind this segment was the easiest; it pretty made itself clear once I had chosen the Goya painting as my basis, but creating the image was much tougher for me. I have no drawing experience so I knew I couldn't free draw some kind of victim and that if I kept the general shape of the corpse it could serve as a visual anchor to what the design was based on. So I took the easy route out and covered the victim/corpse in "tattoos" of groups of people that are often ignored or even suppressed/oppressed by a hetero-normative Anglo-Saxon America.

The final product looks like this:


No comments:

Post a Comment