Thursday, May 26, 2011

Final Project


Well folks...bloggin for the last time...so it's time to get sentimental. This project all in all went smoothly. Our group always had great communication due to our online presence. We created a facebook page and the words flowed freely through our keyboards and onto the main "wall". We decided our team would be called "Under the Bridge" - giving recognition to the mysterious and supposedly gigantic Pacific Octopi that reside under the Narrows Bridge. We felt that like our 8 legged friends, we were mysterious, intelligent, strong, and capable of legend.

Our team worked separately but was still close in our continued theme of Puget Sound Pollution Awareness. We all had separate goals and themes that we wanted to create but through our communication were able to tie it together into a project of oneness. Our team was fantastic! We all brought special talents and elements and most importantly had a great time creating for change together.

My project really started with the googling of the word "Toxic" after reading about the toxicity of Puget Sound. A lascivious image of Britney Spears popped up everywhere...needless to say I fell in love with it. I searched and found another image of a Orca Whale as well as the skull and crossbones (I wanted there to be a dark image to battle Britney's beautiful mug). After messing with hue, saturation and opacity it really came together. I absolute LOVE this image and it sparked a want to do more collage based art and imagery. Anyways from there the slogan "This is the sound our orcas know" was put into play. The word sound referring first to the toxicity of Britney but also Puget Sound. I think this poster is great, and one of my favorite works this year.

Poster 2 was also based on a music theme. I loved Britney so much I wanted to keep songs in play. The poster was on loss of habitat and how more building and pollution is causing animals to leave. I'm a fairly large Beatles fan, who isn't? I mean, the Stones are better, but still the Beatles are fantastic. "She's leaving home" seemed extremely appropriate so I did some googlin' and found the perfect image. I used that as the base along with a tope colored background and built up the elements until it looked right. I love the large "70" and how it appears that the eagle is flying into the sunset of the "0". This poster is straight and to the point and I believe it works well.

The fonts used in both posters were based on those used in the Beautiful Angel posters. I wanted a very screenprinted/blocked look. I downloaded custom fonts and adjusted the opacity appropriately until it had a look that I saw fit.

I really enjoyed this project: the work I was able to, the fantastic work of my teammates, the time working with my teammates, and the presentation and work of the "Dr Congo" group. Their project was grounding...they did a wonderful job.

Thanks Lace & Nick for a eye opening class!

Enjoy your summer everyone!

-Nev

No comments:

Post a Comment