Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Tim Wise x Project 3


Time to take a voyage back in time to Project x 3! The Tim Wise lecture was grounding. I walked in expecting it to be overtly intense, unenjoyable, and unbearably heavy. I was pleasantly surprised in the reality; it was still intese, yes, very, but it was enjoyable, informative, and even funny! One thing Mr. Wise said that really caught my ear was that a white man holding a High School degree was equivalent in todays workplace to a person of color holding a college degree. I chose to center my third project on this fact.
Unfortunately I didn't get the opportunity to share this project with you all in class. History tells me I tend to be a space case, some might even say worthy of NASA, but still, I apologize for not having it in on time. That being said, I am extremely pleased with the way the work turned out. The poster depicts a white hand (top) and a person of color's hand (bottom) both reaching for diplomas. The white man reaches for a high school diploma, the person of color for a college diploma. Everything in the image looks equal, it isn't until you look further and dive down into the meaning that you notice something is wrong. It isn't equal at all, in fact, it's extremely messed up. How can our society stand for this? The diplomas themselves create a large "=" sign; the subtle X in the background adds both a nice graphical element, and the affirmation that everything is NOT equal.
I really enjoy this work and how it unravels itself, I hope you do too.
Thanks!
-Nev

No comments:

Post a Comment