Thursday, May 26, 2011

Under The Bridge



What's beneath the surface of churning turmoil as well as found under a tranquil veneer? Dive under those waves, under the beams of support, and there it is, under the bridge. Our purposeful cephalopod. Rejected logo to the right, better one to the left.

Our group project was designed as a guerrilla arts group. We picked a theme (Puget Sound, baby!), communed in digital space, inspired, fine-tuned, convened in reality and compiled.


Since we were designed as street artists, I decided to roll with in-your-face-imagery. The point was to make the average passerby pause to look at my poster. Robbie mentioned pollution issues surrounding cruise ships, and that begin my jumping point for my first poster. After some researching myself, I was disappointed to see that cruise ships create more pollution that airplanes. I know that save-the-whales is the classic and now cliche example of environmental protest...and hippies. But I wanted to take that and do something new with it. Nev also did this with his fantastic Toxic poster.

This was my first idea:

Which morphed into my actual poster. I wanted to include a spot for facts and information, and make something more "designy" as in "used a grid or something." (Robbie took care of filling our infographic niche)

I also wanted to show the "beautiful majestic whale" as a more human grumpy cetacean.


The whale is angry.


For poster two, I played on childhood memory and ideals with an Arielesque mermaid in a garbage graveyard. I wanted gritty eye-catching, and so the little mermaid was doomed. Really, a mermaid couldn't live in the sound's waters.














Mermaids of course are mythological--just like the fantasy that everything about the Northwest is super environmental. Well, for being a green area, Puget Sound is especially disgusting.

I decided to go without any words like street art often does. As for the technicals, both of my posters were made entirely in illustrator by my hands and frustration.



















You were a fantastic group to work with, guys! And our other group did some wonderful work too. Really, we're just an awesome class. It's been great learnin' with all of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment