Thursday, May 5, 2011

Tim Wise Project: Redux

After working on the Tim Wise project, in which we were asked to create images to supplement Wise's text heavy blog, I had a chance to re-work my image a bit with the help of Lace. After the images I'll run through what was changed and why.


The original version

The redone version

As you can see there are some font changes, object movement, and a more detailed "Welfare Queen" with a backdrop. I changed the fonts to differentiate the main text more from the font I used for "TV Star." It makes the message visually different from the two examples I use to illustrate the double standards.

Then there's the "Welfare Queen." It was pointed out to me that this part of the design was lacking when compared to the "TV Star" and it's not hard to see why. In the original the teen mom and her infant are given a context -- the TV -- and have simple bodies while the "Welfare Queen" and her child are disembodied and on an abstract background. To remedy this I added bodies to the faces. That was the easy part. The hard part was figuring out what to put behind the mother and child. From my research I knew that the stereotype of the "Welfare Queen" was invented in Chicago. With that in mind I searched for urban skylines to use as an outline for the silhouette I eventually made. Most skyline photos are cluttered and have too much overlap to make a good silhouette. I wanted to work Chicago in but the only iconic part of their skyline is the Sears Tower, which is much taller than the buildings around it and makes for an unbalanced silhouette unless the photo is from a very particular angle. I was lucky enough to find a photo of Chicago that fit my criteria, but it is still hard to make out the shape of the Sears tower, as it is mostly obscured by the mother's head. Once I had found the photo, all that needed to be done was trace the buildings and choose a color that fit the scheme already established in the design.

What do y'all think? Better? Worse? Both better and worse?

No comments:

Post a Comment