Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Happiness x Understanding = Takashi Murakami


(Insert Japanese "Hello" here)
It's gorgeous today; lets focus on an artist that makes me happy, that changes society through happiness, understanding, and mad business skills. Takashi Murakami has been one of my favorite artists for sometime now. I love his colors and flamboyancy of his work. When I look at them I can't help but be happy! They are so beautiful and are filled with childlike wonderment. He is one of the Art Worlds richest living artists, partly due to his amazing talent but also due to his skills as a business man. Murakami has created and entire consumer culture behind his art. He has made toys, movies, home accessories, watches ect. He has worked with major fashion designers, most notably Louis Vuitton. However, his fine art has deeper meaning, more than just their beautiful appearances may convey. I recently purchased a book of Murakami's show at the palace of Versailles in France; it's simply incredible, and if any of you wish to borrow it let me know! Anywho, the piece titled "Flower Matango" (Flower Monster) depicts a modern day version of an ancient monster that would sprout flowers because of an over-ingestion of mushrooms. In the modern Japanese context, the mushrooms are the two bombs dropped on Japan that ended WWII. Their culture ingested those mushrooms and it was horrific, but now they sprout a new culture, one filled with color and happiness! I almost tear up at the beauty if this piece and what it means to Japanese culture. Social change through awareness, understanding and happiness; this is the way I believe it should be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment